Risotto has a reputation of being time-consuming and requiring lots of stirring, but this recipe is the opposite. It was given to us by our friend Roz who is 100% Italian in heritage, so give it a try and enjoy.
ROZ’S EASY RISOTTO WITH FENNEL & PEAR
½ cup finely chopped sweet onion
2 tbl butter
1 garlic clove minced
¼ cup olive oil (est)
1 cup uncooked Arborio rice
3 cups chicken broth
¼ cup white wine
1/3 cup grated Parmesan
1 pear, peeled & chopped
1 fennel bulb, sliced
- Stir first 3 ingredients together with 1 Tablespoon of oil in microwavable bowl. Microwave on high for 3 mins. Stir in rice and microwave on high for 2 mins.
- Stir in 2 3/4 cups broth and 1/4 cup wine. Cover tightly with plastic or glass cover that fits tightly on bowl. Microwave on high for 9 mins. Carefully swirl bowl without uncovering and microwave for another 8 mins.
- While rice is cooking drizzle fennel with enough oil to coat and add salt & pepper. Place on roasting pan lined with parchment paper and cook for 20 mins at 350° or until tender. Pear should be prepared same as fennel and cooked on same pan but only for 10 mins.
- Remove rice from microwave and stir in cheese and ¼ cup broth, stirring for minute or so until creamy. Add more broth a Tablespoon at a time for desired consistency.
- Stir fennel and pears into rice. Adjust seasoning with salt & pepper.
Enjoy with friends, outside and socially distanced!
Lisa Martin and Seymour Mondshein